Friday 23 August 2013

House Sorting and a Lot of Spare Books

The week has been filled with a lot of boring business stuff but I have managed to do some clearing and putting away in the workroom. Just a little bit more WoW for the September issue and then it is back to some serious stitching.

We have also been really sorting out our house. All those of you who said I would love a conservatory were so right. We have hardly been out of it and the light is wonderful for reading and stitching.

It turned out to be rather larger than expected. I said to Clive when we were at the planning stage, 'No-one ever says, after building,  I wish it was smaller, so let's go bigger'.  It is rather large - I asked my son-in-law, as were viewing from the bottom of the garden, if he thought it overwhelmed the scale of the bungalow and he pointed out that you couldn't see much of the bungalow, so it didn't matter! Go big, I always say.




I have just ordered a new rug made of recycled sari strips. As I have loads of these, I could probably have made one myself but I might rise to the occasion and produce a few cushions to match. You might notice that there are piles of books in the pic above. This is because,  the dining table has moved into the conservatory - see, Clive, I told you big is good. As it is off the kitchen I can now chat to people as I cook.



The space in the living room means that we can have another bookcase. I have lusted after one of these Conran ones for ages. An investment piece, of course(!). The same son-in-law observed that it looked like a Billy bookcase - badly assembled.



Another bookcase means that the last of the boxes of books in the garage have a chance of finding a home. They are nearly all my stitch books and I have hard choices to make, as they won't all fit. It has to be done as we want to get the car in if it is another bad winter. They have been there since we moved, nearly three years back.



I would like to give them away but the post would be expensive. If I put the titles up in the next blog post, would people (that means you lot) be willing to pay five pounds for post and packing, do you think? They are mostly hardbacks and some of them are still quite expensive on Amazon. I'd much rather they went to good homes, rather than the second hand book man. Let me know what you think.


8 comments:

Annie said...

your conservatory looks great! £5 post for a decent book, not a problem :)

Stitching with Schnauzer and Siamese said...

If you need a bit of practice on sorting out "stuff".. you are always welcome to practice on my house/garage/shed ;o)... £5.00 for a book .. no problem. Best wishes. Maggie ( the other one!)

gilby said...

Conservatory looks great!#5 postage for a good book no problem. I shall be away going to Russia not returning till the 10th of September so might miss the list.

Jeannie said...

I am so envious of your conservatory! I can imagine being in there on a sunny day in winter and feeling like it is spring. Of course, the book junky that I am, 5# for postage is a fantastic deal.

Lorraine said...

I need to sort out my books too but am always happy to add more. Postage seems more than fair for a special book, even at the exchange rate. Love the conservatory. Enjoy, Maggie!

Heather said...

£5 for a good book is very reasonable though I must try not to look at your list! There is no point in having a small conservatory - big is beautiful!

Ann said...

Would pay postage to Canada, happily. Can't have too many books - until you move that is! Beautiful conservatory & I bet you can't wait for winter to see how lovely & cosy it is (haha) Ann

Sue said...

Congratulations on your wonderful, new space! I'm in the U.S. and would be willing to pay postage on the right book.